Monday, September 19, 2011

Venice, Italy, September 1, 2011

The flights going home were much easier than arriving in Barcelona, everything was on time and we even landed a little early.

A Best of List:

Best place to meet a rich husband:  Monte Carlo

Best food and wine:  A three way tie, Barcelona, Athens and Florence

Most romantic:  Mykonos

Most surprising city:  Istanbul

Most spectacular drive:  Naples

Best tour and tour guide:  Rome

Best city to get lost in:  Barcelona

Most Educational:  Pompeii, Ephesus and Istanbul

Most friendly:  Athens

Most historic treasures:  Istanbul and Rome

Most beautiful:  Another tie, Venice and Mykonos

I learned the most from Ephesus, since I hadn't even heard of the city much less known of lost ancient city.  I loved the lost city but I was not impressed with the Virgin Mary's house or St. Johns supposed church.

This trip has meant so much to me, I can remember studying ancient civilizations and wondering what it would be like to live in those times.  Standing in the Coliseum I could imagine the gladiators doing battle.  I loved this trip and I loved the cruise. Which stops would I go back and visit?  Rome, Florence, Athens, Barcelona, Mykonos, and Istanbul. 

Top Ten Things I Learned:

1.  I learned that you don't need guided tours in Mykonos, Venice or Monte Carlo, you can easily do those on your own.  I'd recommend a tour for the other cities simply because it's so easy and they really pack in the most must do stops, plus you never get lost.

2.  I learned a lot about the beliefs of Islam and how a few evil men tainted a religion.

3.  I learned that gay men can be just a prissy and bitchy as any woman. 

4.  I learned that far too many people have died and cities have been looted in the name of religion.

5.  I learned that some people have way too much but most have way too little.

6.  I learned every city in the world has a McDonald's and a Subway.

7.  I learned that the only thing worse than flying is not to travel because of fear.

8.  I learned that the Greeks and the Turks are similar to the Jets and Sharks of West Side Story.

9.  I learned that the contents of the Topaki Palace in Istanbul could feed the world for 100 years.

10.  I learned that no matter what, "There's no Place Like Home."


Thank you for reading my blog. I do hope you enjoyed it and please feel free to share it with anyone you think would be interested.

1 comment:

  1. I will NEVER see these things in person. Thank you for sharing your trip with us. We are living through your adventure!

    ReplyDelete