Friday, September 9, 2011

Mykonos, Greece, August 26, 2011

Oh Me Konos!  This was a short stop, only half a day which was so disappointing.  I could of spent the next 10 years wandering these narrow streets.  I would of done things differently at this port if I had known about our wonderful port lecturer Hutch, before hand.  I booked all ship excursions because I wanted to make sure I saw as much as I could without wandering and looking for things.  Hutch gave an excellent 30 to 60 minute lecture on each of the ports.  What a great amenity to Princess, he was a former cruise director and had been to these ports many times.  We could have just exited the ship and explored the tiny city with the ancient windmills and the magnificent coastlines.  If and when I return to Mykonos that's exactly what I'll do.

The harbor is small and there was already a cruise ship docked so we had to tender.  The winds were strong and the waves high so that was a bit of an adventure.  I'm not complaining, after the searing heat of Italy those sea breezes were more than welcome.

Some shots from the ship before we tendered.








Gusty
The ancient windmills
 



 We were off to find our bus for a tour of this beautiful, arid island.



Net fishing in the sea.
 


After boarding our bus we toured the tiny island stopping at beaches, photo opportunities and a quaint little monastery.  This island has a little bit of everything, there are over 300 churches, a very vibrant, nightlife and is very gay friendly.  Our tour guide stated that a few hippies from back in the day opened a nude beach on the other side of the island.  We were told of the parties that used to be hosted by Jackie and Aristotle Onassis.  According to the tour guide they went on for days and the entire island was invited.









Our first stop for a photo opp was at a little restaurant and dive shop.
Isn't this stunning?
Thanks to whoever took this picture for me.
The water color is amazing.
 


A beautiful stop!


Wish we had time for lunch.
This is the first sand beach I've seen on the trip.
This looks like a cool place to hang out.
It was too early for beach goers, they're still sleeping off the previous evening.
 
The next stop was the monastery with our lovely guide who gave us an insight into the Greek Orthodox religion.  She said it's similar to the Catholic church except it's much less strict.  The Greeks are allowed to marry and divorce 3 times and their priests are allowed to marry (I wonder if they get to do it three times too).  She told us that Sunday service usually lasts three hours and that most everyone stands up, only the elderly are allowed to sit in the chairs that line the walls of the church.  Also, Easter is much more of a religious holiday than Christmas.  I always find different cultures fascinating.


How beautiful, this is exactly how I pictured.
 

 
The Monks dorms
 




The inside of the dome.
 






The chairs on the left are for the elderly.
 


Very ornate.
 


An Orthodox priest
The next stop was a harbor on the way back to the city.










Let's go swimming!

The one and only Ruby Princess

We had some free time after the bus tour so we strolled the streets, here are some of my favorite pictures on our stroll.
Squid or octopus hanging from the ship to dry.
 










I'm in love with this island.
 







This part of Mykonos is known as Little Venice.




This photo tickled my fancy, it looks like they're posing for me.
These shrimp were huge. 

Market Day



 And finally there is Petros, the mascot of Mykonos.  I saw mothers trying to get their kids to pet the pelican for a picture, I also saw one of them nearly lose an arm.  There should be a required test before being allowed to procreate.




What a wonderful day!  I could not have asked for more perfect weather, friendlier people, or beautiful settings.  I love Mykonos! I love the Greek isles!  I sincerely hated to leave this magical place but the next adventure awaits.  I don't know what to expect from Istanbul but I can't wait to explore.



No comments:

Post a Comment